Happy Witch Wednesday!!!
As promised on Monday, I'm going to share a bit about how I make Moon Magic when I do my New and Full Moon rituals each month.
Now I really want to start of by saying, there are no real ways to do this wrong or right.
I don't ever like to follow a system that is too rigid and must be done just so or hell will break lose. I believe that is just another form of dogma that modern religions love to emphasize.
What I do can be most closely described as Chaos Magick.
"Chaos magick values an eclectic approach toward belief—and its practitioners will adopt new beliefs and identities as they see fit to match the results they’re looking to get." as defined through Ultraculture.com
In layman's terms: you do what the fuck you want.
Sure there are rituals, spells, and other trinkets you will likely use as many others do, BUT this magick is all about making it your own. Doing what feels good to you. And letting go what doesn't. It's all about YOUR belief, the belief you put into the rituals and magic you do and create. Your signature. Your flair. Your personal touch.
It's all about the individual. And it's all about welcoming change and evolution. If something doesn't work because it doesn't feel good...try something else or tweak it so that it does. And the world is not going to implode.
Some people take this shit way too seriously, believing others are setting spells out to get them or that if they have the wrong crystal the opposite of what they desire will happen.
Chill the fuck out.
This is about full expressing yourself and everyone's magick is going to look and feel a little different. And all the better because you're nourishing that uniqueness.
I like knowing foundational principles, practices, the origins of things....but I don't like being told that I have to do something a certain way.
If you're here reading this, likely you feel the same.
So what I'm trying to say is....this is a peak into my process. And it can change each month based off of what I'm feeling, the time I have, what tools I have, etc.
And I encourage you to experiment with what feels good for YOU.
Here we go:
1. Gather information on the cosmic energy of the Full or New Moon. I love to read up on cosmic climate that will be happening during this time. Sometimes the way a message or bit of info is worded can make all the difference in sparking something wickedly amazing within you that you can bring into your ritual. My fav. resources are JenniferRacioppi.com. ChaniNicholas.com, The-Numinous.com, and Astrostyle.com. Even though I'm astrology educated, I love a fresh delivery and new perspective!!
2. Figure out when you're going to do it. I like to do my rituals as close to the Moon event as possible. But it's not always option. I suggest doing any ritual within 48 hours of the Moon event, before or after. There are a lot of sticklers who will tell you ONLY AFTER or RIGHT at the exact time OR RIGHT BEFORE. That's all well and good, but if you can't do that...it's better to give yourself space and time to do it when you can focus and connect in. It comes down to INTENTION and the strength of that. I more or less treat my rituals as an event, so I know what I'm doing on such and such a day. Here are some good resources to see when the Moons are happening: The Zodiac Astrology & Ruby Slipper
3. Set the mood. Here's the fun part! Getting ready to do the ritual!
I like to start off by figuring out what music I'm vibing with and sit down in front of my altar to do so.
I'll play around until I find something that feels good. I don't like traditional spa music or naturey sounds, I like "real" music. So I usually pick something where I can't always make out every single word sung, or the score to a movie or TV show I love (Outlander was score of choice last week!). But I'm also a huge fan of Chelsea Wolfe, Enya, and Florence and the Machines "Ceremonials" album (if water could sing, that's what it would sound like). Pick what speaks to your soul and makes you feel connected to yourself.
4. Get your shit together.
I then make sure I pick out the stones, crystals and other little items that I feel drawn to and that also vibe with the theme of the New or Full Moon. It's important that you make sure you're vibing with your stuff. I can tell you to use a clear quartz crystal to bring clarity but if you don't like the way it feels in your hand or the way it looks, you are not going to be feeling full connected. So perhaps another transparent stone is more "you", like citrine.
Again, I don't have any order in which I pick out what I'm placing on my altar as I do this. I just go with it. I place the stones where I want them to be. I light the candles how I feel like lighting them. I change up the music if I need to. I don't hesitate to stop and adjust if something feels off.
Other suggestions for items to gather: an image from a magazine that symbolizes what you want, an inspiration book, a journal you use for Moon rituals, incense, essential oils. Really anything that visually stimulates you and looks like how you want to feel, or makes you feel how you want to feel. Arrange it how you are drawn to.
5. Get into the ritual.
My process usually looks something like this after I've gotten myself set up:
- Break out my Journal and write down what Moon this is: zodiac sign, date and time. I'll jot down any other strong cosmic influences that I know of as well. And then I'll write down where this Moon is falling in my specific chart.
- Start journaling: I'll write down my new intentions if it's a New Moon using "I am" statements or other variations of it (this helps you connect the energy of having what you want as if it's already happened). I'll write down what I'm releasing if it's a Full Moon. I'll likely use statements like "I now release..." "I am so happy now that I have let go of.." etc. I do pay attention to the theme of the New or Full Moon, where it is hitting me personally and will include those in my statements. But I will also include ANYTHING else that came up for me even if it appears to be outside the theme. Again, go with what you need and feel. It's your ritual. Give yourself that permission. If it's a New Moon I like to keep my new intentions in my journal to look back on for the next New Moon but if it's a Full Moon I usually rip up the piece of paper I've written on and throw it into the trash. Some people burn their papers. Some people even drown them in water and then throw them out. Just be safe no matter what you do!
- After that I usually pull some tarot cards and will interpret them.You can ask any question that is aligned with the Moon energy you are feeling, or anything you want to know. I love simply asking "What do I most need to know right now?" I usually do a 3 card MIND, BODY, SOUL pull or a 3 Card PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE. I'll read up on their meanings and put them in my journal too, sometimes but not all the time.
6. Feel into your ritual and get ready to end it. Make sure you've done what you wanted. If you want to lay down and chill out, bask in the energy, go for it. Sometimes I want to lay down, other times I'm ready to clean things up, blow out the candles and go back to watching TV. Or taking a bath. Or going to sleep. Remember you can ALWAYS come back to it if you think of anything else or want to change something!
Okay so...Those are how most of my New or Full Moon rituals look!
Sometimes I do more, other times I do less.
Sometimes I make it a couple of day thing where I'm doing some vision boarding (if it's a New Moon). Other times I'll set up the dream box I keep on my nightstand with intentions or energetic releases and Moon energy. I did that this past New Moon; my dream box now has a few images from mags I cut out of things I want or connected with, crystals I'm loving, and drops of essential oil that feel good to me.
Here's a great book I use to gain inspiration from for Moon rituals (Some of the spells are a bit too elaborate for me but the information in here is AWESOME):
Okay that wraps up How to Make Moon Magic!!! I hope that you are filled with more ideas and options and inspired to create Moon rituals that are uniquely YOU.
I'd love to see your Moon rituals and Altars so please tag me @MagicalSoulBitches on Instagram and show me!!!
p.s If you want to bring some Full Moon Fire to your rituals, the cart for the $11 PERSONALIZED Full Moon Readings is open, go here to order yours!